Deduction in respect of medical insurance premium.
(1) In computing the total income of an assessee, being an individual or a Hindu undivided family, there shall be deducted such sum, as specified in sub-section (2) or sub-section (3), payment of which is made by any mode, other than cash, in the previous year out of his income chargeable to tax.
(2) Where the assessee is an individual, the sum referred to in sub-section (1) shall be the aggregate of the following, namely:
(a) the whole of the amount paid to effect or to keep in force an insurance on the health of the assessee or his family as does not exceed in the aggregate fifteen thousand rupees; and
(b) the whole of the amount paid to effect or to keep in force an insurance on the health of the parent or parents of the assessee as does not exceed in the aggregate fifteen thousand rupees.
Explanation.For the purposes of clause (a), family means the spouse and dependant children of the assessee.
(3) Where the assessee is a Hindu undivided family, the sum referred to in sub-section (1) shall be the whole of the amount paid to effect or to keep in force an insurance on the health of any member of that Hindu undivided family as does not exceed in the aggregate fifteen thousand rupees.
(4) Where the sum specified in clause (a) or clause (b) of sub-section (2) or in sub-section (3) is paid to effect or keep in force an insurance on the health of any person specified therein, and who is a senior citizen, the provisions of this section shall have effect as if for the words fifteen thousand rupees, the words twenty thousand rupees had been substituted.
Explanation.For the purposes of this sub-section, senior citizen means an individual resident in India who is of the age of sixty-five years or more at any time during the relevant previous year.
(5) The insurance referred to in this section shall be in accordance with a scheme made in this behalf by
(a) the General Insurance Corporation of India formed under section 9 of the General Insurance Business (Nationalisation) Act, 1972 (57 of 1972) and approved by the Central Government in this behalf; or
(b) any other insurer and approved by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority established under sub-section (1) of section 3 of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority Act, 1999 (41 of 1999).]
|←Previous Insurance is the Subject matter of Solicitation||Terms And Conditions Next→|
Want to know more or need assistance to select the best policy for your needs, fill up a simple form with QUICK APPLY and we shall revert to you with the best options available from the market!!!
Disclaimer: Please note that the information provided is collected from sources publicly available & we believe to be reliable. The website doesn’t warrant the accuracy, reliability & absolute information available on the website. Participation by site visitors or registered customers is on a voluntary basis. The policies are offered by various life Insurance & non-life insurance offering companies and eMediclaim does not seek to, either directly or indirectly, advise, offer, solicit or recommend that any person who is or proposes to become its member should purchase the Policy.
The logos displayed on this site in no way indicate tie up of the respective logo owners with eMediclaim Portal. or any affiliation what so ever between eMediclaim and respective logo owners. Should you have any objection to use of public information on this site, please contact us and we shall remove the content that you feel is not in public interest or has a copyright which prevents it to be displayed on eMediclaim.com website.